The Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association of Ontario
Privileges and Advantages of Membership
Members of the association can take advantage of various benefits and privileges provided. Many of these benefits also extend to the employees who work diligently on the backstretch everyday looking after the horses. Contact the HBPA Head Office for information on which benefits apply to you.
Please note a valid Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) is required to be a Member of the association and to receive benefits.
- Registered Pension Plan
- Non-registered retirement allowance
- Purse negotiations
- Federal & Provincial governments
- Alcohol and Gaming Commission (AGCO) Stewards
- Alcohol and Gaming Commission (AGCO) Hearings and Appeals
- Fort Erie and Woodbine Race Track contracts
- National & International HBPA
- In 2013, the HBPA began to distribute Owners’ Awards differently. At Woodbine Racetrack there will be an overall increase from $1,500 to $1,800 per race for each Ontario foaled Thoroughbred who places, 1st, 2nd, 3rd in races other than stakes. Distribution will be as follows: $1,000 to the winner, $500 to second and $300 to third. At Fort Erie Race Track winning Owners of Ontario foaled horses will continue to receive $400 per race in races other than stakes.
- Provide financial assistance to a maximum of $1,000 to a child of a member / a child of a deceased member / a child of a backstretch employee.
- Applicants may apply once per calendar year.
- Skills improvement for backstretch workers
- Groom school
- Trainer and assistant trainer education and testing
Subsidized Health Insurance Plan
- Subsidized health and dental benefits for all members and their employees on the backstretch of Woodbine and Fort Erie who apply. A valid AGCO license is required to participate in the health insurance plan.
- Benevolence for family emergencies
- Various annual events for members and backstretch employees
- Owners’ Appreciation Day
- HBPA Day at the Races – one at each track per calendar year
- Holiday meals
- Third party liability insurance
- Care, custody and control insurance
- Fire and transportation insurance
- Claiming protection insurance
- Members are invited to attend the Association’s Annual General meeting to cast their vote on issues and participate in discussions.
- Members are mailed ballots for the Election of the Board of Directors. Elections take place every three years, normally in August/September.
- Each of association’s backstretch offices has the following publications available for members to review – the Thoroughbred Times, The Blood-Horse, and the Daily Racing Form.
- Each of the association’s backstretch offices usually have the following publications available for pick up – The Canadian Thoroughbred Magazine, Down The Stretch Newspaper, The Horsemen’s Journal, LongRun Newsletter, Equine Guelph Newsletter, Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame Newsletter, Racetrack Chaplaincy Newsletter.
Employee Assistance Program
- Confidential counseling and help line
Services for Members
- Equineline products
- B1 assistance
- Fax services
- Assistance with bills of sale and various other forms
- Immigration assistance
- Free urine/blood re-evaluation for a positive test